The building features an altar with gold leaf, a body of three naves separated by arches with Doric columns, and side and side chapels, also decorated with gilt. Attached to the church is the Chapel of Bones, small size, the style joanino.
The main entrances is a late Gothic portal and a lateral portal Renaissance style, it was once the main door of the old Chapel of Our Lady.
The first religious building on this site was the Hermitage of Our Lady of Conception, built in 1325, one still in the fourteenth century, became the seat of freguesia. In 1463, Bishop John de Mello sponsored the construction of a chapel- mor, making the chapel a church, still in the fourteenth century, became the seat of freguesia; the temple continues, however, to be dedicated to N. Sra. da Conceição.